How i turned whistling into a track

my friend Nicole recently sent me a recording of her whistling into her cell phone mic. it was a jaunty little tune, and there was some lovely ambient noise in the background of her husband washing dishes. i loaded the track into my DAW (Studio One) and duplicated it a few times, choosing a different transposition level for the duplicates, to create a machine-like sound. i recorded some of my own humming and repeated the process, again to get a kind of robot sound :robot:. based on Nicole’s tune, i laid down a bassline and some beats. i hope you enjoy :black_heart:

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing, @deathofcodes! The words that came to mind immediately after the end of this track were “Dark. And sweet.”

About that… :slight_smile: This whip-like sounding snare (?) is bringing me back to this song. I like how the rhythm builds up without making a concession to easy listening.

The first time I listened to this track I was on the go with my mobile phone, throwing away whatever effort you or someone put into mixing. :grimacing: I got the impression that the track was relatively simple. The more I hear it, now with better conditions, the more I feel that is filled with detail and nuance.

Looking forward to the next!

1 Like

thanks for re-listening to my track! the more I get into music production the more obsessive I get about headphones! :laughing:

1 Like

whistling??? i can hear intonating and breathing or is the whistling already pitched down or filtered ? x

2 Likes

I took Nicole’s whistling track and duplicated it two times, and set all three tracks at different transposition levels, one of which is definitely pitched down quite a bit from the original. I also added reverb and delay. The whistling blends with my humming tracks, which I treated similarly (different transpositions, reverb, delay).

2 Likes

yes, cool, sound dope! i was just whistling into a track with the black bird… kind of have crush on birdies lately ;] will share when its done :] xx

1 Like

I look forward to hearing it! I love birdies and birdsong :slight_smile:

1 Like

are you on Currents.fm too? i just posted it there, here link :smiley: njoy xx
akkagarden 03: Saw her through

1 Like

i :heart: that picture! i listened to your clip on Currents and it sounds awesome! :musical_note: i don’t really understand how Currents works but i am on there https://a.currents.fm/current/ejQ8C0fIHwdnfGKoGs6p