Building EQlzr - June 2020

June was EQlzr’s second month of live. Here is the monthly report. If you miss anything, just ask.

See also: Building EQlzr - July 2020 and Building EQlzr - May 2020.

June 2020 - 150 registered users

We failed on this goal, which in hindsight was probably just too ambitious. Still, we went from 13 to 37 users, which we can look with optimistic eyes and say that it was a 284% growth. Thank you #fediverse and #female-pressure for being the origin of most newcomers!

A month ago we said that we might close the project unless we achieved 150 users. The truth is that there seems to be a critical mass of interest to seeing EQlzr consolidate, even if it takes more time. Special thanks to the people who have created new topics this month: @akkamiau @deathofcodes @genericperson @holokin @INVERИO @kat @Kjpr00 and @lwr82. Your initiative basically has saved this project this month. :slight_smile:

Tasks completed

:white_check_mark: Complete documentation for newcomers v1.0.
:white_check_mark: Should EQlzr have a category about DJing? The answer is Yes. Category created

Milestones

Metrics

If you want to know more details, just ask.

Page views

New registered users

New contributors

Trust Level Growth

Top referred topics (June 2020)

Topic - Clicks
EQlzr Radar - May 2020 29
Fediverse meeting point 18
EQlzr needs YOU here and now 9
GarageBand Drummer Issue 5
United We Stream female:pressure Circle 2
Female:pressure podcast episode 60 Inverno 2
EQlzr governance 2
Lisa Bella Donna The Mothership 2
How Distrokid works 1
EQlzr Radar - June 2020 1

3 Likes

Yesterday I expanded Welcome to EQlzr. What do you think?

After many days without newcomers, we saw some last week. Yay! I think I obtain better results when promoting EQlzr in the fringes. The entire Fediverse is kind of a fringe. Youtube publishers with dozens of subscribers and :+1: are fringe, producers living in “periferies” are closer to fringes… A percentage of them seem to be responding, and I will continue working in this direction.

Of course music producers challenged or marginalized for their gender and/or skin color are very likely to be pushed to the fringes. I am reaching out to many of them, but I am not getting much response? I believe it is a combination of caution, building trust, wait and see, calculation of practical benefits. If these are the reasons, I fully understand them. I wish more people would take the time to explain their reasons, but I truly understand if they won’t.

21 users. 9 more to go to complete the very basic first objective of 30. I wonder why it is being so hard. Is it about EQlzr alone? The current times? The fact that people so got use their social media that they are now reluctant to leave for anything? As a reference, today we have 40 followers in Instagram and 19 in Mastodon.

Today we are 29. Progress! I’m ready to welcome user number 30 with a special message. :slight_smile:

Previous users have been welcomed with a template message that I will edit to describe a slightly more prosper scenario. Still, the initial goal was to have 150 users by the end of this month. Let’s see how far/close we end up. 18 days to go.

Click here to read the template message.

Hi ABC thank you so much for landing here!

If you are looking for suggestions about first steps, there are some here: Welcome to EQlzr. If you have questions, just ask in the forum or replying here.

Your only presence contributes to the survival of this new platform in its first steps. We are NN persons and we seek at least 30 by the end of this month, to prove that there is a critical mass of interest. If you know someone… please bring them in! For more details, see Building EQlzr - June 2020.

This is not a desperate call (yet). :slight_smile: Most artists and most projects started with rather empty spaces, filled with air, maybe imposing silence, but also many opportunities. If you see an opportunity for you here, let’s talk! See EQlzr governance.

PS: Variations of this message are being sent to every new user, at least until we reach 150. Although, I’m recycling some text, I’m a real human writing to you with genuine gratefulness.

PS2: (something else)

These days I’m thinking whether #meeting-points are our best bet to spark discussions around topics and to attract more producers interested in these topics and in bringing their own createing new meeting points.

And not only topics? There could be meeting points about projects, organizations, artists… What do you think?

1 Like

I get it’s difficult to gain trust and users.
I have a rough guess though why we’re not gaining traction at the start.
You only offer a platform, without offering any incentive to join. Why should people join? You can’t advertise the community as there is none yet. So why should people care?
Audio communities are not that toxic to diversity as far as I know.
Giving the tools/platform is a good start, but giving people reasons to join is your key.

1 Like

Thank you @Samuel, these are good points.

Well, there are communities and communities, but to start with, most audio communities are not diverse at all. And they are not diverse because the farther you go away from the default white cis male profile, the less comfortable you feel. Many women report being treated as an exception, receiving condescending feedback, receiving stronger criticism compared to other newcomers, also receiving private messages flirting or insulting and even both at the same time. People declaring overtly being somewhere in the LGBTQ+ spectrum are likely to receive even worse treatment.

The problem with most audio communities starts with lack of diverse representation, and the people who could contribute diversity give up or don’t even raise their voice because they find from unconscious bias to direct attacks, public or private.

Proof of all this is the big and growing amount of groups focusing on women and non-binary music producers. They welcome everyone but they ask cis men to please keep out from their safe spaces. These groups collaborate a lot among them, mostly through social media and personal connections. Maybe this is all what they need? I think social media are very good for immediate and tactical collaboration but are simply not designed for community building and collaboration with the openness and depth that a good web forum allows. But I could be wrong!

EQlzr aims to build a space at the intersection between generic audio communities (in practice male & western dominated) and the many groups representing the wide human diversity of music producers.

BUT I understand all this might be too abstract for some, and for others might sound like a promise that still needs to prove itself. And I also understand the importance of offering something concrete and tangible. This is still missing, indeed.

Thank you for the nudge, I’ll keep thinking. Any ideas? What would you like EQlzr to offer, @Samuel?

And to celebrate this milestone, I have updated the Welcome message sent manually to newcomers.

Click here to read it.

Hi NNNN, thank you so much for landing here!

If you are looking for suggestions about first steps, there are some here: Welcome to EQlzr. If you have questions, just ask in the forum or replying here.

Your only presence contributes to the survival of this new platform in its first steps. EQlzr was born on May Day and today we are NN persons. We seek at least 150, which is considered a good minimum number for a sustainable human community. :slight_smile: If you know someone… please bring them in! For more details, see Building EQlzr - June 2020.

We are not desperate to get more users (yet). :slight_smile: Most artists and most projects started with rather empty spaces, filled with air, maybe imposing silence, but also many opportunities. If you see an opportunity for you here, let’s talk! See EQlzr governance.

PS: Variations of this message are being sent to every new user, at least until we reach 150. Although I’m recycling some text, I’m a real human writing to you with genuine gratefulness!

PS2: If you don’t mind the question, where did you hear about EQlzr?

1 Like

Just a note to say that this week we are closing I have become quite relaxed with the number of members thing. I can point out three reasons:

1. When I posted EQlzr needs YOU here and now I was a bit stressed with the idea of closing EQlzr for not reaching a critical mass. Then I spent a couple of days assuming that sooner or later I would close it… and then I kind of started to miss it already. I thought why close something when you are having fun with it. I don’t you, but I’m having fun here in EQlzr, I’m learning about topics and I’m learning about producers, and I’m listening to a bunch of interesting fresh music.

2. The metrics start showing that it takes only one person sharing a link somewhere to have five joining in the next couple of days. If we keep going, I hope more people will share links to their circles bringing 5x people.

3. I watched this short video featured on EQlzr Radar - June 2020 by seri beats where he says something very basic that is good to remember: it is all about doing something that people feel valuable. Sounds evident, I still recommend you to watch the video. It spun off some ideas bouncing inside my brain in the past couple of days, precisely because the message is so simple.

Bottom line: if I’m having fun here, if people bring other people from time to time, and if we are doing something that others find valuable… this cannot go wrong. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m a fan of lightweight sites, so this would be pretty nice to have. At the moment though, I wouldn’t say it’s a pressing matter.

Might have to research this first, or poll it. Personally, I prefer dark themes, but only because I don’t have lamps on (I don’t need a lamp for a lit up screen).

Maybe! One thing I’m finding out is that independent musicians in 2020 are essentially full stack engineers. I wish I could record some stuff, or make stuff, and put it out there… But I think I’ll have to start doing animations or something soon.

As for this last one, the answer also applies to some of the ones I didn’t quote here: Only if it’s easy enough to implement, or there’s enough demand after a while. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is unrelated to the topic (maybe), but a category for off topic or semi-off topic would be nice. I keep having questions I want to ask, but I don’t know that they’re ever suitable for the current categories.

For example, if I wanted to ask, “what is your dream synth?,” I wouldn’t know where to ask that since it’s just a question and not about production or publishing–It’s adjacent. :o

1 Like

I changed the :x: to :white_check_mark: for the completed tasks for clarity. The last edit made me realize that I was reading a red X as “not a question, but it’s not done yet”. Turns out it was done, but it was just red :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The good news is that so far I am only proposing features that I should be able to implement, meaning “easy enough”. :slight_smile: So yes, as you say this is pretty much about demand.

Thank you for your feedback @lwr82, which already helps focusing on some points. Maybe in July we can run surveys for Video production category, lighter main page, and dark or light theme by default. If only because surveys are kind of fun and because why not. :sunglasses:

Social / Political aims to be a place where off-topic is on-topic. If you agree, we could make this clearer in the description (which can be edited at About the Social / Political category).

1 Like

I’m having a dilemma with posting more events and interesting videos. If post more, there is more activity, and perhaps that is a motivation for people to join. However, these types of posts usually bring little to no conversation, and if there are many of them then they obfuscate the actual topics with discussions.

Considering that some of these topics have been created by members when there was some silence (coincidentally or not, I don’t know)… I think I will stop myself from posting new events and new videos (except in the Radar; I would like to know what people think about the Radar but I digress).

Instead, I’m thinking of investing more time to bring in the producers (or organizations for producers / musicians) organizing those events and posting those videos.

Ideas welcome!

I have updated the first post with the report of June. We didn’t reach 150 users (not even remotely) but we are not in a bad place either.

It’s July now, so let’s move on: