Bandcamp meeting point

This is a meeting point for people active in Bandcamp and also for anyone willing to learn more.

Bandcamp is an online store where artists and labels upload their music and control how they sell it, setting their own prices, offering fans the option to pay more and selling merchandise (more).

Artists and labels

Anyone can help collecting artists and labels here. To keep it cozy, they must have an EQlzr account.

Fans

To respect people’s privacy, add your own account only.

See also

Click “Edit” to improve this post, or comment about anything Bandcamp related below. We can spin-off topics and ideas as needed.

3 Likes

Today many artists (including some EQlzr users!) are publishing new releases in Bandcamp:

Today, from midnight to midnight Pacific Time, we’re waiving our share of sales to support artists impacted by Covid-19. Below you’ll find a list of artists and labels preparing special releases for Friday, including those donating their share to organizations in support of racial justice and change.

It is a good day to inaugurate this meeting point and start promoting EQlzr members with music available in Bandcamp.

Released today:

From @deathofcodes

And from various artists remixing @indigo’s album Ferrum

1 Like

CJ Run has been a source of inspiration for me creating this project in its earliest days. If you can, please buy their music in support.

1 Like

As seen on the #fediverse:

3 Likes

Today is Bandcamp Friday! Dedicated to artists impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic.

I have updated the list of EQlzr members with music published in Bandcamp. 13 artists, unless I have missed someone. We start having material for a compilation! :wink:

I just learned about this: https://www.buymusic.club/

Buy Music Club is a place for creating and browsing lists of independent music purchasable on Bandcamp.

Our favorite lists, updated daily.

We’ve curated a selection of our favorite lists that you’ve submitted.

I ended up here thanks to a link pointing to a list about diversity by _rsrsm:

https://www.buymusic.club/list/_rsrsm-diversity-is-key-music-has-no-genre-recent-release-influencing-me

And I learned about this DJ thanks to this post:

1 Like

Tried to add myself to the artist list at the top, but the editor forbade my edit because “You can’t mention more than 10 people in a post.” Is there an alternate process for getting onto the list above?

@Midnight-Animals yeah, true, someone else reported this problem and I forgot. I shouldn’t have used mentions to list users. I will fix it later today.

EDIT: Aaaand fixed. @Midnight-Animals please try now.

Got myself added now. Thank you for the assistance!

1 Like

I’m really excited to use ‘community’ tab on bandcamp. And of course hopefully soon - bandcamp subscriptions. They enable every artist to run their own music club, where people subscribe and pay monthly fee to receive things that artist releases - all in quite a simple way.

Anyone has thoughts about the community and subscription features on Bandcamp? Is this good or bad? Do you think it will take more work for artists to engage or less if they concetrate most of their fanbase on Bandcamp?

1 Like

In the long term, I’d really love to see Bandcamp become a more central place for fans and artists to connect. Right now, Bandcamp’s fan features aren’t that great, and don’t even come close to the kind of experience listeners have acclimated to through streaming services like Spotify, Tidal, Apple Music, etc.

I’ve avoided the community tab on Bandcamp because it seems to primarily rely on email and that feels like it would really spam fans’ email boxes if every artist posted frequently to their community tabs.

Subscriptions seem a lot more promising, but also feel held back by Bandcamp’s limited fan experience (as mentioned above.) At the moment, nearly all of my support comes through Patreon, and I haven’t found a lot of willingness from those supporters to migrate.

As negative as all of that may sound, I really want Bandcamp to become the hub for independent artists. Community and subscription are good features, but they’re not well positioned for success.

1 Like

@arcanebanjo has released a new album:

Congratulations! You are invited to present it at #listen-watch:in-first-person.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Keedysville, by Capharnaum County Magicians Society

It comes as surprise to me, that perspective, or someone’s experience, that fan features of Tidal or Apple Music are so superior to Bandcamp’s. I always felt that these streaming services don’t really care how much connection exists between listeners and artists and they didn’t really implemented any direct-to-fan tools, where listener’s could develop relationships with their favourite creators.

I’m curious where do you see failures of Bandcamp implementation versus other services. In what ways the positioning is not done right for success.

I totally agree with you! I misspoke, or really I ran two ideas together in one sentence that didn’t actually go together. I don’t think the streaming services have better fan-to-artist features. Far from it. I got extremely angry when Spotify’s CEO recently gave a big impassioned talk about how important it is for artists to cultivate connections with their fans while Spotify itself offers nothing to facilitate that.

I do think that the streaming services offer a better listener experience than Bandcamp does. I find it much easier on the listener side to explore and find new music on the streamings sites than I do on Bandcamp (not the least of which because Bandcamp’s tagging system is horribly broken for multi-genre acts.) If Bandcamp has playlisting features, I don’t know where they are. And if you’re not a well-established act with a good amount of purchases on your music yet, Bandcamp doesn’t list any further listening links at the bottom of your music pages. There is a ton of room for improvement.

That being said, I don’t think any of the streaming services hold a candle to Bandcamp’s social features. I just wish Bandcamp’s social features weren’t so email dependent.